Sunday, July 29, 2007
yard work
Yesterday was a yard work kind of day. It was 80% chance of rain but I guess I live in the 20% of the area where it didn't rain because we certainly didn't have any.

Anyhow, I did one of my LEAST favorite yard chores yesterday, and it's one of those twice a year jobs. I don't remember if I'm late with the spring one or early with the fall one... or maybe I'm getting an "extra" because we've had so much rain this year?! I have English ivy near the front door of my house that grows up the wall. It's beautiful. But it's hard to keep under control. If not kept under control, it grows up onto the roof, into the gutters, into the storm blinds (which means they won't close... NOT good during hurricane season) and obscures the mail slot, among other things. I also had to remove some that had decided to grow under the front door and into the house! The job requires borrowing my neighbors' 16' extension ladder as I am 5'2". It's hard for me to even carry the darn thing and I DEFINITELY don't like being up on it!

But now... after about 3 hours of prying, cutting and pulling, the ivy has been wrestled back under control! I'm good for at least until the fall. Two large black garbage bags full of the stuff.

I weeded another flower bed too, while I was at it, and that looks much better. I need to trim the bottom fronds from my palm tree... maybe I can do that today.

An island girl's yardwork seems to never end... and I love (almost) every minute of it!

Labels:

posted by Lisa @ 6:55 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At August 1, 2007 at 1:42 PM, Blogger kate said…

    My friend with a very green thumb was shocked when I (with my black thumb) had English ivy outside that died. She said no one could kill ivy. Well...I didn't MEAN to...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
Island Girl Musings
My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States
Recent Posts
Archives

Links
Template By
Free Blogger Templates